Friday, July 10, 2009

Cheer up Charlie...

Walking around our house with slightly less pep in his step is our kitty, Charlie. Even before William was born, Jerry and I would joke about how he was going to pack his bag (bag and stick style... see below), tie it to his tail and escape from the house.

We always got a good laugh out of it, but I secretly hoped that Charlie would adjust to William positively. Cats get a reputation of being jealous and there are even old wives tales that tell of cats "stealing the breath" from babies. Charlie didn't adjust badly, but he didn't adjust willingly either. He spends a lot of time under the bed and isn't as snugglie as he was before baby... and he wasn't really all that snugglie.

We've tried to put the two of them together, you know, to get acquainted... it didn't go very well. For either of them.

Ever since we've gotten home, Charlie has been hiding his favorite toys more than usual. He loves these little mice that come in packs of 9... he has gone through two packs and I can't find one of them anywhere. We suspect he is packing them in his get away bag.

Today, while I was eating lunch, Jerry called me over to the doorway to get a look at Charlie's current progress in his escape plan. Here he is, with one paw in Jerry's shoe. Very sneaky... you can barely tell it is in there. They definitely don't fit him very well, but everyone needs a pair of shoes to walk the streets of West Palm Beach if they are going to survive. Who knows, maybe he is checking to see if he could fit inside the shoe to use as shelter. Either way, this is definitely part of his get away plan.


Poor Charlie. It used to be him I would take incessant pictures of, now he is forced to do even weirder things to get a photo. Hopefully Charlie sticks around, because he is starting to show telltale signs that he has had enough of this new little human that gets all of the attention. I guess this is my karma for chasing away my childhood kitty, Alabaster. If only I hadn't run over his tail with my walker all of those times...

No comments: