Monday, September 7, 2009

Homework for Parents

Sometimes, I really hate being a teacher. I've considered other jobs, but I hate them even more. My ideal job would be to work for a company that would start at 10am and send me home at 2pm. With a lunch break, benefits and a decent salary. I'm fully aware that this occupation does not exist.

This morning, while watching Good Morning America, I hated being a teacher. Dr. Marie Savard was on the show giving her "Homework for Parents: 5 Things Your Kids Should Know"... let me share with you her list.

1. Have a plan for the flu.
2. Have an emergency health card.
3. Get immunized.
4. Get enough sleep.
5. Remember chronic conditions.

Oh, was I mad. The teaser and tag line was "Homework for Parents: 5 Things Your Kids Should Know", not "5 Ways to Protect Your Family from the Flu". These are not the things your kids should know. These are 5 things PARENTS should know and enforce at home. I could EASILY teach flu prevention in my classroom. I get aggravated because there are so many things parents do not teach that are essential for success in life that I am forced to add to my already jam packed schedule. Let me share with you my list of things your child should know before coming in to public school (parents, I'm begging you)...

1. Manners
2. Personal space
3. The difference between right and wrong
4. Problem solving skills
5. Common sense

I can argue that common sense is something that cannot be taught, the rest of the five can. I try the best I can to teach my students these things, most of the time to no avail. I'll see my students the next year making the same bad choices I tried so hard to break them of while they were with me. After six years of teaching and finally being a parent myself, I proudly state at any conference where a parent tries to play "my child is perfect" that parents are responsible for their child's behavior. I think people forget about that. You have to teach your child how to act and be a good role model... you can't wait until they are in public school to have some lady do it for you in ten months, only to have it ruined over the summer for the next lady who comes along.

Can anyone tell I had a great weekend with my family and baby and that I don't want to go back to school tomorrow? I hope I have a good day tomorrow anyway... pictures and stories about the grandparents visit coming soon.

No comments: