Thursday, October 30, 2008

www.whocanisue.com

All pregnancy cravings are similar... the ravenous urge to eat only one specific, not always easily accessible, item. Jerry has been pretty good about bringing me random food on his way home from work, but since he has been in Miami for the past few weeks, I've been on my own with my crazed self. So today I decided that I wanted Pizza Hut. Mind you, I have tried to stay as far away from Pizza Hut since high school due to some serious belly ache issues that usually arise after eating there, but... gotta listen to what baby wants. Finally, I muster up the closest (not so close) Pizza Hut and order online, too far away for delivery, so I head out on the road. I was a little annoyed at having to make the journey, but an interesting thing happened on the way home. 

There I was on the corner of Ghetto and Fabulous (aka, anywhere in South Florida) when I found myself stopped at a stop light. When I looked up, I saw a billboard that read...   

www.whocanisue.com 
  
That was it. Just the website. (I think... the pizza smell was really distracting.) 

Now, finally, I realize what I have already known. I'm curious as to "who i can sue", but having common sense, morals and a sense of humor about myself, I know that for almost all situations I have been put in - I have been partly responsible for and don't feel justified in even glancing at the website. But the billboard put it into perspective for me a bit - something I have been saying about parents and their children since I started teaching - where has responsibility gone? Why are these children having SUCH a hard time with problem solving? There my answer was in big, bold, bright lights...  www.whocanisue.com. Who can I make pay for my issues? Who can I blame to make me feel better? Who can solve my problems for me?

It really makes me sick. When I tell people that my #1 issue with teaching is the children's lack of responsibility and the way children don't know how to respect each other, the first response is "yea, but they're poor" or "yea, but they don't speak English". But, after teaching a few summers in Celebration and Windermere (think... Tiger Woods), I can tell you, socioeconomics have nothing to do with it, language has nothing to do with it, excuses have everything to do with it. Like I said, I was on the corner of Ghetto AND Fabulous. Smart marketing move, since www.whocanisue.com appeals to the vain and morally challenged of any tax bracket. Heck, it even sparked my interest, but thankfully it made me ask myself "how can I make sure my child is responsible for his/her actions?" instead of "who can I sue... I was on birth control!" =)

(I take full responsibility for missing my pills... you're welcome, Yaz.)


No comments: